If your loved one has been diagnosed with a life-limiting illness, it is critical to begin thinking about a referral to Hospice care before your loved one’s illness progresses to the point where their quality of life begins to suffer. You should begin this dialogue with your physician, either a General Practitioner or a Specialist, based on:
- Who is most familiar with the patient’s’ current medical history
- The physician with whom you feel most comfortable discussing end-of-life care
If you prefer, Hospice of the Golden Isles professionals are available to talk with you before you speak with your physician. Our compassionate staff is expert in helping you determine the questions to ask your medical professional. We’ll help you understand the ways your loved will benefit from the special care Hospice of the Golden Isles offers.
Steps for Referral
- Contact your physician’s office or Hospice of the Golden Isles to see if Hospice care is right for you. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you and your family on an informational basis so that you may better understand the special care Hospice of the Golden Isles offers.
- Once you have decided Hospice care is right for you, an order from your physician is needed to begin Hospice care. Our staff can assist with this, if needed.
- Upon receipt of the order, we set up a time for our nurse to visit and evaluate your loved one. The Admissions Nurse and our Medical Director then determine clinical eligibility for Hospice care. and, if appropriate, admit your loved one into Hospice care.
- If your loved one is eligible for Hospice care, we review our services and assist with consent forms and other paperwork.
- Generally, we are able to admit patients on the same day we receive the physician’s order.
Call us at 912-265-4735 or 866-275-6801 to get the process started or for more information.
Learn How Hospice Offers Help
and Support to Caregivers